Monday, August 02, 2010

Alfredo step aside




The fromage blanc from Bellwether Farms in Sonoma, CA caught my eye last week. I knew it had a lot of potential--with fresh blueberries or peaches for breakfast or as a cornerstone ingredient in a quick, seasonal pasta dish made with ripe, local tomatoes and lots of herbs. I chopped up more than a cup of herbs at hand: garlic chives, mint, basil and parsley. I was disappointed that I didn't have any sage. Crushed a dried red pepper in a tablespoon of olive oil heated in a pan, threw in the herbs and let them sizzle, added the tomato, the cooked pasta, the fromage blanc and voila! creamy and delicious. And this is despite the unappealing 8 whole grain rigatoni sample I used--I couldn't even give the box away. Quick and lo-calorie (compared to Alfredo) and pleasingly tangy.

No comments: